Aims of the course
Students will develop visual language which communicates their ideas and personal philosophies. They will be able to place themselves within the context of contemporary art.
Students will be given one to one guidance throughout the course to help them to become confident artists who can judge the merits of their work and become increasingly independent in designing project content.
The new Edexcel specifications develop the skills, knowledge and understanding required for students who want to progress to foundation courses or undergraduate degrees.
Art and Design students will develop critical thinking skills through exploring and preparing integrated contextual content.
What will I learn?
- The two year Edexcel GCE A-level in Fine Art qualifications will provide a solid foundation for your progression to Foundation Courses and HE degrees, whether in a creative field or not.
- The one year AS course will provide a stimulating, practical and critical supplement to your other AS or A-level choices.
- You will generate practical work, ideas and research from sources.
- You will experiment with media, processes, develop and refine ideas, and present outcomes.
- You will explore a variety of Art and Design techniques and develop an individual coursework portfolio.
- There will be a Gallery trip in the first term for all, and the possibility of a short residential European trip in Year 13.
- For careers in Art and Design, including Architecture, progression on to a Foundation Art course is generally recommended. In some cases, application directly to degree level is possible.