7 in Core and Additional Science or Chemistry.
7 in Mathematics recommended
Aims of the course
- Develop an interest in, and enthusiasm for Chemistry, including developing an interest in further study and careers in Chemistry;
- Appreciate how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society;
- Develop and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of How Science Works;
- Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of Chemistry and how they relate to each other.
What will I learn?
- Module 1: Development of practical skills
- Module 2: Foundations in Chemistry
- Module 3: Periodic table and energy
- Module 4: Core Organic Chemistry
- Module 5: Physical chemistry and transition elements
- Module 6: Organic chemistry and analysis
- As well as the opportunity to enter the Royal Society of Chemistry’s Olympiad in Year 13, we also enter the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge in Year 12.
- With a qualification in Chemistry you could go on to Further or Higher Education, studying Chemistry or one of the other sciences or related subjects, or work in science-based industry such as chemical engineering, materials science or biotechnology
- It is essential for the medical field, pharmacy and environmental science.
- Chemistry is also a well-respected subject in its own right and suitable for entry into a wide range of professions.