7 in French
Aims of the course
- To develop an understanding of French in a variety of contexts.
- To develop a knowledge of the vocabulary and structures of the language.
- To develop transferable language learning skills.
- To develop the ability to communicate effectively in the language.
- To develop awareness and understanding of countries and communities where the language is spoken.
- To offer enjoyment, a sense of achievement and intellectual stimulation.
What will I learn?
Among the many benefits, A-Level in a Modern Foreign Language is designed to encourage you to:
- Develop the knowledge and skills acquired at GCSE level and therefore use French/German/Spanish in a wide range of contexts
- Gain a useful insight into another culture and reflect on various aspects of contemporary society
- Enhance their employment prospects, facilitate foreign travel and experience the enjoyment and motivation of improving their linguistic level.
- Students benefit from approximately ten hours of teaching every two weeks in addition to a conversation lesson with a language assistant from the beginning of October until May.
- The Modern Foreign Language Department has a language Laboratory equipped with the latest technology and resources to support the independent learning of our students.
- Our A-level students can also take advantage of a range of reading and listening resources to maximise their learning.
- You will also study a film and a text in the language you are studying.
An A-level in a Modern Foreign Language is an asset which is very highly prized by higher education institutions and by employers. According to the CiLT – the National Centre for Languages -
- 60% of UK trade is with non-English speaking countries
- Customers addressed in their mother tongue are three times more likely to buy