Aims of the course
- develop your understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and fosters enjoyment
- extend your range of mathematical skills and techniques and use them in more difficult unstructured problems
- use mathematics as an effective means of communication
- take increasing responsibility for your own learning and the evaluation of your own mathematical development
What will I learn?
- The skills developed by studying mathematics in the sixth form are highly valued by employers and universities across a wide range of careers from medicine and law to engineering and management, for it helps the development of powers of analysis and strong problem-solving skills.
- As well as the opportunity to enter the national Senior Maths Challenge, we try to enter a team of four students for the Senior Team Maths Challenge.
- Mathematics complements a wide variety of other A-level courses and in addition, Mathematics A-level provides an understanding of the mathematical tools and techniques that are an integral part of many degree courses.
Student Focus: Electra
“Maths has strengthened my skills in pattern spotting and logic, which have been very useful in my other subjects.”
Why did you choose Maths?
Maths has always been my favourite subject and is certainly something I am considering taking on to university. The combination of core modules and applied modules is an interesting and manageable mix and also provides evidence of how maths skills can be applied in the real world. It's very easy to find links between the different topics which help me to understand and engage with the subject as a whole.
You are also doing Further Maths?
Further Maths expands on and explores in more depth, many of the topics taught within core Maths. This often allows you to see how topics are linked together, whilst also helping you to understand many of the core topics better. There is a lot of overlap in both subject content and skills acquired, so Further Maths is a great choice for me. That said, there are also a lot of topics we cover that are not anything we've seen in Maths before!
What skills have you aquired and what will you do with them in higher education?
Problem-solving and analysing data in great detail are ever-growing skills within Maths and I have transferred these assets to my Biology A-level. My underlying knowlege of maths makes scientific calculations very straightforward and has also strengthened my skills of pattern spotting and logic, which are extremely valuable in other subjects such as languages.