A* or A in Maths
Aims of the course
Some of the aims of the specification are to encourage you to:
- develop your understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and fosters enjoyment
- extend your range of mathematical skills and techniques and use them in more difficult unstructured problems
- use mathematics as an effective means of communication
- take increasing responsibility for your own learning and the evaluation of your own mathematical development
What will I learn?
- The skills developed by studying mathematics in the sixth form are highly valued by employers and universities across a wide range of careers from medicine and law to engineering and management, for it helps the development of powers of analysis and strong problem-solving skills.
- As well as the opportunity to enter the national Senior Maths Challenge, we try to enter a team of four students for the Senior Team Maths Challenge.
- Mathematics complements a wide variety of other A-level courses and in addition, Mathematics A-level provides an understanding of the mathematical tools and techniques that are an integral part of many degree courses.