7 in English, Maths and Science
Aims of the course
The overall philosophy of the department is to promote an appreciation and understanding of individual, social and cultural diversity and to develop tolerance and sensitivity in dealing with others. In addition the departmental aim is to encourage students to:
- develop their interest in and enthusiasm for Psychology, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
- understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
- promote an appreciation and understanding of individuals, society and cultural diversity
- develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
- develop competence and confidence
- develop practical, mathematical and problem solving skills.
What will I learn?
AS and A-level Psychology should encourage you to:
- develop understanding of the key areas within Psychology – Cognitive, Developmental, Social, Physiological and Individual Differences
- apply psychological theories and concepts to society and everyday situations
- apply psychological concepts to the area of Mental Health, Education and Criminology and as such promote an appreciation and understanding of individuals, society and cultural diversity
- develop evaluative and analytical skills
- carry out research using different methods such as observation or self report
- extend practical, mathematical, scientific and problem solving skills.
- As part of the A-level course we visit Warwick Law Courts to see the judicial system in action.
- There is also the opportunity for some students to visit HMP Onley.
- With an understanding of people and how they behave, Psychology students can pursue a number of careers ranging from human resources, advertising, marketing, physiotherapy to careers within psychology such as Educational or Clinical Psychology. So there are many opportunities within Psychology, Business, Medicine etc.