Governors are well informed about the school and very effective both in terms of scrutiny and support. They connect very effectively with the school, including through very regular contact between the chair and headteacher, and individual governors linked to curriculum areas.
The Members of the company are:
All Governors of the School are Directors of the Company and the School Business Manager fulfils the role of Company Secretary.
Governors' Committee Structure & Responsibilities
curriculum, leadership & management (CLM)
- To be responsible for all aspects of quality assurance related to whole school performance, self-evaluation and self-review.
- To agree and recommend to the governing body, a costed three-year school development plan, to update it annually and to obtain the approval of the Resources Committee for the proposed annual expenditure.
- To agree and recommend to the governing body, a broad, balanced and appropriate curriculum which is consistent with the school’s aims and which provides appropriate opportunities for learning and for experiencing high levels of achievement and success.
- To agree and establish the school curriculum policies and procedures.
- To provide the staffing necessary for the delivery of the curriculum.
- To overview and monitor staff welfare.
- To be responsible for all aspects of performance management for teaching and support staff.
- To overview all financial matters and in particular to review and agree the annual budget to ensure that all incomes, grants received and funds raised are accounted for and allocated appropriately to support the school development plan and to meet statutory requirements.
- To consider all requirements for additional funding from the Headteacher, Heads of Departments and other committees to support business plans and initiatives and approve the allocation of existing resources or instigate the raising of additional funds as and where appropriate.
- To ensure that there are appropriate systems of control and accountability (including systems of inspection to ensure regulatory and statutory requirements are complied with).
- To overview and monitor the management, development and maintenance of the school premises with a view to ensuring that the premises are pleasant and comfortable and conducive to study and also comply with Health and Safety regulations.
- To overview and monitor the management, development and maintenance of school data in line with GDPR.
- In particular, to seek to improve the premises of the school as specified in the School Development Plan and to endeavour to ensure best value for money with regard to any premises contract or project.
progress & well-being (PWb)
- To overview all pastoral matters relating to children in our care and in particular to review, and make recommendations to the Governors, the Progress and Well-being processes and procedures in place to do this.
- To be responsible for and monitor safeguarding in school.
- To overview school standards relating to performance, pastoral care, discipline, uniform etc.
- To agree and recommend to the governing body the school’s Admissions Policy and procedures.
- To act as the Admissions Committee for In-Year and Sixth Form admissions.
- To agree and establish the school’s assessment policies and procedures.
- To overview all aspects of student academic and non-academic performance, including destinations, across the school and make recommendations to the governing body related to student progress and welfare.
- To agree and establish the school behaviour and disciplinary policies and procedures.
- To take note of National Curriculum requirements, including all aspects of Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) and Citizenship.
- To overview the school’s CEIAG programme.
The Governing Body comprises of 19 governors, including the Headteacher. Governors (excepting the Headteacher) serve four years from the date of their appointment/election. Parent Governors are elected by parents, Staff Governors elected by staff and Community and Co-opted Governors appointed by the Governing Body.
Current Governors are as follows, with their membership of committees and the date of expiry of their terms of office in parentheses:
- Mr Simon Humberstone (PWB) (11/2023)
- Ms Clare Nicklin (PWB) (Chair of PWB) (08/2022)
- Mr Paul Offer (R) (Chair of Resources Committee) (08/2022)
- Ms Janet Tomkinson (R) (11/2021)
- Dr Anna Bayman (PWB) (02/2025)
- Mr Paul McAnaney (CLM) (PWB) (10/2024) (Safeguarding)
- Mrs Liz Stringer (CLM) (R) (08/2023)
- Miss Deena Welch (CLM) (10/2023)
- Mrs Sarah Bennett (PWB) (08/2021)
- Mr Richard Cox (R) (08/2021)
- Mrs Anna Harvey (CLM) (08/2022) (Chair of CLM Committee)
- Mr John Millett (CLM) (R) (08/2022) (Chair of Governors)
- Mr Chris Pote (CLM) (08/2022) (Vice-Chair)
- Mr George Fisher (CLM) (02/2024)
- Mrs Jacqui Cornell
Clerk to the Governors
- Mrs Christine Spooner