Governors are well informed about the school and very effective both in terms of scrutiny and support. They connect very effectively with the school, including through very regular contact between the chair and headteacher, and individual governors linked to curriculum areas.
The Members of the company are:
All Governors of the School are Directors of the Company and the School Business Manager fulfils the role of Company Secretary.
Governors' Committee Structure & Responsibilities
- To monitor and review all elements of the school’s Quality Assurance policies and procedures
- To recommend for approval to the full governing body the:
- Self-evaluation form
- School/Academy Improvement Plan
- Targets for school/academy improvement to the governing body
- To agree and recommend to the governing body, a broad, balanced and appropriate curriculum which is consistent the school’s aims and with statutory requirements, and which provides appropriate opportunities for learning and for experiencing high levels of achievement and success.
- To overview all financial matters and in particular to review and agree the school annual budget and forecasts to ensure that all incomes, grants received and funds raised are accounted for and allocated appropriately to support the school development plan and to meet statutory requirements.
- To consider all requirements for additional funding from the Headteacher, Heads of Departments and other committees to support business plans and initiatives and approve the allocation of existing resources or instigate the raising of additional funds as and where appropriate.
- To ensure that there are appropriate systems of control and accountability (including systems of inspection to ensure regulatory and statutory requirements are complied with).
- To overview and monitor the management, development and maintenance of the school premises with a view to ensuring that the premises are pleasant and comfortable and conducive to study and also comply with Health and Safety regulations.
- To overview and monitor the management, development and maintenance of school data in line with GDPR.
- In particular, to seek to improve the premises of the school as specified in the School Development Plan and to endeavour to ensure best value for money with regard to any premises contract or project.
progress & well-being (PWb)
To overview all pastoral matters relating to children in our care and in particular to review the processes and procedures in place to do this.
To agree and recommend to the governing body the school’s admissions policy and procedures.
To overview all aspects of student performance across the school and make recommendations to the governing body related to student progress and welfare, including attendance.
To establish the school behaviour and disciplinary procedures.
To be responsible for safeguarding across the school.
Pay & Appraisal (P & A)
- To be responsible for all aspects of appraisal for teaching and support staff.
- To agree and report annually to the full governing body on the performance of all staff and any associated pay progressions.
- To act on matters delegated by the full governing body.
- To liaise and consult with other committees where necessary.
- To contribute to the School Improvement Plan.
- To consider safeguarding and equalities implications when undertaking all committee functions.
Governors September 2023-24
The Governing Body comprises of sixteen governors, including the Headteacher. As of 1st November 2023 there is one vacancy for a Staff Governor and one vacancy for a Community Governor. Governors (excepting the Headteacher) serve four years from the date of their appointment/election.
Current Governors are as follows, with the date of expiry of their terms of office in parentheses:
Name and category Committee(s)
Dr Anna Bayman PWB, P&A (02/2025) (Chair of PWB)
Mrs F Irvin PWB (01/2027)
Mrs H Kolar E (09/2027)
Mr S Lawrence R (05/2026)
Mr J Norris E (01/2027)
Mr I Waris R (09/2027)
Suzanne Griffiths R (09/2027)
Mr Paul McAnaney E, PWB (10/2024) (Safeguarding)
Mr Robert Fish R (09/2027)
Mr George Fisher E, P&A (02/2024) (Chair of Education)
Mr John Millett R, P&A (07/2026) (Vice-Chair of Governors, Chair of Resources)
Ms Clare Nicklin E, R, PWB, P&A (07/2026) (Chair of Governors)
Ms Janet Tomkinson R (12/2025) (Responsible Officer)
Mrs Jacqui Cornell
Clerk to the Governors
Ms Joanne Betts
E – Education Committee
PWB – Progress & Well-being Committee
R – Resources Committee
P&A – Pay and Appraisal