7 or 8 in Core and Additional Science or Biology
Aims of the course
Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of the subject and how they relate to each other
Develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
Develop competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical and problem solving skills
Develop an interest in and enthusiasm for the subject, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
Understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society.
What will I learn?
- Module 1 – Development of practical skills in biology (practical endorsement for the A-level)
- Module 2 – Foundations in biology
- Module 3 – Exchange and transport
- Module 4 – Biodiversity, evolution and disease
- Module 5 – Communication, homeostasis and energy
- Module 6 – Genetics, evolution and ecosystems
- During the course we have a number of off-site field work activities
- You will have the opportunity to attend a biomedical day at Warwick University
- You will have the opportunity to enter the Biology Olympiad
In July we launched an ecological field trip to visit South Africa in 2016.
The study of Biology at this level obviously leads to a wide variety of careers including medicine, veterinary science, dentistry, physiotherapy etc.
- Allows you to further your knowledge in Biological or environmental courses at degree level.