B in Mathematics
Aims of the course
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the key aspects of business decision making, and the impacts these have on the business and its stakeholders.
- Look at different types of business with an emphasis on what the importance and consequences are for them and why they differ depending on size.
- Confront issues, tackle the challenges these issues raise and engage in debate and discussion with fellow students.
- Learn how to make decisions, and develop the necessary analytical, questioning and quantitative skills to progress in the
What will I learn?
- The course encourages you to develop a critical understanding of business organisations, the context in which they operate and the markets which they serve. This is achieved by taking a problem-solving approach to the subject, so crucial in today’s business world, which involves studying the internal workings and management of organisations, together with the process of decision-making in a dynamic external environment.
- The different perspectives of customers, owners, managers, employees and suppliers will be considered, as will the economic, environmental, ethical and international issues which constantly arise.
- You will acquire a range of skills including the ability to interpret and evaluate the significance of all these issues and to make your own decisions based on the information given.
Benefit from a wide range of ‘practical’ lessons, developing knowledge and pertinent skills through game and scenario-based learning.
In Year 12 you will be encouraged to use skills learnt through the subject in the school’s Young Enterprise programme.
- The course will involve a number of trips to a wide range of businesses, both in the local area and beyond, making network connections that could well be useful in later life.
- Business is a popular A-level subject, relevant if you wish to follow a wide range of careers, not least in the business field itself. It therefore works well with the sciences, arts, languages and humanities, and each year, students successfully combine Business with subjects from all these areas.
- Many students have continued with Business-based degrees at university, either as a single or joint course, with many exciting options available both in studies and career opportunities.
- This course is invaluable as it prepares you to interact with the business world in some way, either professionally or personally.